An institution for public benefit purposes to which the provisions of the NGO Act in S.4 apply. (NGO Act S.2)
2. Public benefit purposes (S.2)
Organizational purposes involving developmental and charitable purposes including but not limited to: educational, health, welfare, advocacy etc for the benefit of the general public but excluding involving activities of the church or religion, trade union, employers organization or political party.
Institution or organization for public benefit purposes, established under the laws of a country other than Malawi, or established under a Treaty or Convention and conducting some or all of its activities in Malawi. Save for exempt organizations under S.5 of the Act, this Act shall apply to an NGO in Malawi which fulfills the following conditions:
- Has a written Constitution/governing instrument
- Not established, administered or controlled directly or indirectly by GoM or any other Government.
- Applies all its funds and resources for public benefit only
- Is not for private profit or gain for those running it
- Is managed or controlled by a Committee, Board or Trust
- It serves all eligible people without discrimination
- It is not a church or religious organization of a purely evangelistic or proselytizing nature.
- It is not a political party, trade union or a social club created to pursue the interests of its members.